Dependent Visa Request

The following forms are required when submitting a request to IIE to bring a dependent for a visit or extended stay.

Please note that it is a program policy to only allow dependents after the Fellow has been on campus for 30 days; there are exceptions to this policy on an individual basis, made by the discretion of IIE.

Dependent Request Forms:

Humphrey Program Policies Relating to Dependents
Dependent Visa Request Procedure
Dependent Request Form
Childcare Requirement
Health Insurance Coverage Requirements for Dependents
Supplemental Health Insurance Providers for Fellows and Dependents

FAQs about dependents

Who is eligible to be a J-2 dependent?

A J-2 dependent is defined as the spouse and any unmarried children, under 21 years of age, of the J-1 visa holder. Parents, siblings, or other members of the J-1's immediate family are not eligible for J-2 status.

How long does it take for IIE to process DS-2019 forms for dependents?

Providing that the documents a Fellow submits for a Dependent’s Request are complete, it can take up to three weeks to process the request, including getting approval from the Embassy/Commission and sending the DS-2019 forms to the Embassy/Commission.

Can a Fellow add dependents to the Accident & Sickness policy provided by IIE and the Department of State?

The ASPE accident and sickness health benefits policy provided to Humphrey Fellows is a “participant only” plan. Therefore, it is not possible for Fellows to add their dependents to their ASPE health benefits plan.

Can a Fellow's J-2 dependent work in the U.S.?

Yes, but a J-2 dependent cannot begin employment in the U.S. until he/she is issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). The IIE Humphrey office does not provide assistance for J-2 employment requests. If a Fellow’s dependents would like to apply for an EAD, they should apply directly to the USCIS.